Friends raising money to help Noah afford therapy and adaptive equipment.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Noah's Surgery



Noah is going in for surgery first thing tomorrow morning, (I'm posting this really late, but Wednesday Morning) He is getting a baclafin pump placed. This will help with the tightness in his limbs. We are hoping that over time this will help him move easier, have less pain, prevent contractures (or not being able to move his limbs due to constant tightness) maybe help him to learn how to walk, help him gain weight, make diaper changes easier, and many other things. The issues we are worried about is that Noah is very weak and may have to learn how to do everything over again, also risk of infection (if this were to happen, the pump and shunt would have to be removed for the infection to clear and then everything replaced, which would be at least a month in the hospital. It's only about a 10-12% chance of that happening, but for me that is too high of a chance. Prayers and Support would be really great. This is a big surgery for our little guy. Jeff and I have prayed for months, done tons of research, and weighed our options and feel like this is what's best for Noah's future. I think the surgery is about 2-4 hours depending on if the shunt creates more work for the neurosurgeon. I will update later to let you know how things are going.

I hope this email makes sense it's late and I feel nervous and groggy. Thanks for the support.

5 comments:

Schroeder's in a NUT SHELL! said...

I have a friend with a son who has had this same surgery....he seemed to do fairly well with it...I think he was a little older than Noah when they placed the system...do you remember him..I think you were living here at that time... I would watch him in the mornings before school...not totally certain...you might have already moved...anyway, we will certainly keep Noah in our prayers and good luck on your day tomorrow

The Hill Family said...

We will be praying for Noah and your family - let us know how it goes...

DrMom said...

We will be praying for Noah and your family. Thanks for sharing this with us.
-Tim and Nancy Henry

Kaden said...

Our love and prayers are with Noah! You guys have made the best choices for Noah but oh how stressfull it must have been to make them!!! We love you guys and if there is anything and I mean anything we could do please let us know!!

Ben, Kaden, and Kids

Staci said...

Oh Wow, I hope all went well. We will pray for little Noah.