Friends raising money to help Noah afford therapy and adaptive equipment.

Friday, September 19, 2008

Hospital Stay

Hey guys, so on Wednesday Morning, I got Ava up at her usual time, about 7. We usually go into another room and she plays until brother gets up around 8 or 9. I hadn't heard anything so at 10 I went in to see if he was just in his crib playing (which he does sometimes). He was still completely asleep. He went to bed at nine the night before, so I knew something was kinda weird. I tried to wake him up, but he just wasn't really coming out of it. I rocked him for a while, but still nothing he just fell asleep on my lap.

We had gone to Shriner's Monday, because he hasn't been wanting to put any pressure on his left foot. (he twisted his ankle a few days before that) Shriners took xrays, said that they looked good, but in a week to come back for a bone scan, and that it's a possibility it could be the shunt. I didn't think that was it, so I wasn't concerned.

Well then when he wouldn't wake up, I took him to get a shunt series and a CT. Those all looked great, but the surgeon could tell that something was not right. So she admitted us to do more tests. (keep in mind he still hadn't woken up completely.)

We ended up staying the night, got a catheter, blood work, a lot of other not fun things, and all came back ok except for his glucose levels.

So we still don't know what was up. Things are pretty much back to normal. He will be getting more tests next week. I am going to go talk to a Neurologist to have him tested for seizures. My mom mentioned that maybe that could have been the reason, I asked the surgeon and she said that it was a possibility, but they are just surgeons, so I need to go to a neurologist.

Kids with shunts often have seizures, but we have been so lucky not to have any. Just keep us in your prayers, that everything will get resolved.

2 comments:

Janene said...

That's not good. I'll be praying for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Hey Crystal. Sorry to hear you went through all that. My friend Christy's former 23 weeker just had his first seizure a few weeks ago. He also has CP and a shunt. They did tests and everything was normal. The doctor too told them seizures were common with shunts. Anyway, its a small world. Here is her e-mail if you want to write her. ctaylor421@gmail.com
I hope all gets resolved.
Amber